Re: Pass a variable into procedure to use as column in select statement

From: Sidhu <amardeepsidhu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

You need to use Dynamic SQL to achieve this. Construct the select statement at run time and execute that using EXECUTE IMMEDIATE (I you are on latest version of Oracle)

for example

I have got a variable v_col_name which stores the name of the column and i have to execute this query. What I will do is

v_string := 'select '||v_col_name||' from table_name'; execute immediate v_string;

Hope that helps
Amardeep Sidhu