Re: ASMM question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:58:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 2, 10:56 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 10:49 am, Chuck <skilover_nos..._at_bluebottle.com> wrote:
>
> > sga_target_size = 4g
> > sga_max_size = 6g
>
> > When the instance starts, how much memory will it try to allocate? 6g or
> > 4g?
>
> > If I run "show sga" on the instance it says total sga size is 6g. If I
> > run "ipcs -ma" on the o/s (solaris 10) it shows the shared memory
> > segment as being only 4g.
>
> > I'm a little confused as to what's really being allocated as there seems
> > to be some contradiction here.
>
> > TIA.
>
> ipcs reports what is actually allocated, which is the
> sga_target_size.  sga_max_size is your 'wiggle room' for dynamic
> adjustments.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

To add to my last post, show sga reports the maximum size the SGA can attain, not the actual sga allocation. I expect that if you look at v $sgastat you'll find it agrees with the sga_target_size setting, not with the sga_max_size value.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Apr 02 2008 - 10:58:30 CDT

Original text of this message