Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBA's

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:05:48 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> On Apr 1, 5:22 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_aol.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 1, 3:29 pm, NetComrade
>>

>>> Particularly interested in 'how to tune', but 'general concepts' will
>>> do as well.
>>> Thanks in advance!
>> psst:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/sqlorpro...

> "In Oracle, a database refers to the entire Oracle RDBMS environment
> and includes these components:
>
> * Oracle database processes and buffers (instance)..."
>
> Hmmmm....
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/intro.htm#i60813
>
> "Overview of the Oracle Instance
> An Oracle database server consists of an Oracle database and an Oracle
> instance. Every time a database is started, a system global area (SGA)
> is allocated and Oracle background processes are started. The
> combination of the background processes and memory buffers is called
> an Oracle instance."
>
> This darn database stuff is so confusing!
>
>> don't tell Larry...
>>
>> there is also a "rozetta stone"-like page
>> for commands, ask Gary: I sent it to him
>> a while ago.

> So, what's the command to make the applications use the same
> transaction model?
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=johnny+depp+condom

Au contraire mon ami.

In Oracle the database does not consist of processes and buffers or anything of the kind. The "database" is a set of related physical files ... data files, temp files, undo files, control files, redo log files, password file, spfile. What you are describing is the "instance."

Get into RAC with srvctl and the difference becomes critical.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor