Re: Default Value

From: Alberto <alberto.ceriotti_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:37:23 -0700 (PDT)

On 29 Mar, 17:15, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 mrt, 15:32, "web.Hunter" <alberto.cerio..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I've a problem with default value of integer data type: my
> > software work fine with oracle version 8, but fail with 11g version.
> > The problem is on sql insert command because are often omitted some
> > columns for use the default value. If the column omitted has a integer
> > data type, on oracle 8 the command is succesful executed; viceversa
> > the command faild on 11g oracle version: the response message return
> > an unexpected null value on a not-null column. I repeat: Only on
> > integer data type column.
>
> > I suppose that there is a configuration value that is possible to
> > modified but I don't know what and here.
>
> > Thanks
> > Best Regards
>
> i'm not sure if i understand your situation correctly. You have a
> table in oracle 8 that has a default value on one of the columns, and
> the same table without the default value in oracle 11? Or do both
> tables have a default value on that column?
>
> select table_name, column_name , data_default from user_tab_columns
> where table_name = 'YOURTABLE'  ;
>
> should return any default value's on columns.  To put a default value
> on a column, you have to use the
>
> alter table YOURTABLE modify (....
>
> and the rest you should know or find in the docs ;)
>
> H.

Hi Helma,
thanks for the interest.
my problem is about the different behavior between 8 and 11g oracle version.
The tables are the same and also the code, but if I send to db a command without some column the result are differents p.e.
the tableA have col_3 defined NUMBER NOT NULL default 5 the command is "insert into tableA (col_1,col_2, col_4) values ('a','b',5)"

        (I don't have defined the value of column 3)

result

       with oracle 8 the commend insert a record
       with 11g version I have a error like "unexpected null value on
a not-null column."

This problem is on integer data type column only.

I suppose that there is a configuration value that is possible to modified but I don't know which and where.

bye Received on Mon Mar 31 2008 - 07:37:23 CDT

Original text of this message