Re: Periodic restart DB recommended or no ?

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 06:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

On 30 mar, 14:15, "Rahan" <Ra..._at_rahan.net> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Usually, what are the reasons why you have to stop and restart the database
> ?

You haven't given your Oracle version. But with contemporary versions, you don't have to restart an instance periodically, except if the database is not in ARCHIVELOG mode and you take offline backups. There is no need for periodical restarts. Worse, restarting an instance will flush its caches, disconnect users, etc. without improving anything:

> Perhaps, for somes maintenance like :
> - check integrity of the database ?

dbverify? It works online. Plus you don't have to run it regularly.

> - cleanup the buffer (SGA/PGA) ?

Why? We don't want them to be flushed/deallocated. Otherwise, we could do it online.

> - reduce the problems related the DB processes ?

Which problems?

> - cleaup the redo log file ?

Why would you want to do such a thing?

> - make a clean system backup ?

Consistent backup? Online backups+archivelogs are far better regarding flexibility.

> - resize tablespace, segment or update redo log file... ?

You can perform all these tasks online.

> so, i would like to list the main actions recommended requiring a stop of
> the database.
>
> Could you advice please.

No periodic restart.
Stop your database only when mandatory: often it will be when you have to change a static instance parameter. There aren't many other tasks requiring an instance shutdown/restart.

Jerome Received on Sun Mar 30 2008 - 08:44:04 CDT

Original text of this message