Re: Periodic restart DB recommended or no ?

From: Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 06:39:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 30, 2:15 pm, "Rahan" <Ra..._at_rahan.net> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Usually, what are the reasons why you have to stop and restart the database
> ?
>
> Perhaps, for somes maintenance like :
> - check integrity of the database ?
> - cleanup the buffer (SGA/PGA) ?
> - reduce the problems related the DB processes ?
> - cleaup the redo log file ?
> - make a clean system backup ?
> - resize tablespace, segment or update redo log file... ?
>
> so, i would like to list the main actions recommended requiring a stop of
> the database.
>
> Could you advice please.
>
> Thanks a lot
> Regards

I only stop a noarchive database in order to make a cold backup. And on my laptop i stop the database when not in use, because my virusscanner is scanning the datafiles and it has no exception list.

Stopping a database for simple maintenance is very 20th century, we're having 24x7 shops now.

H. Received on Sun Mar 30 2008 - 08:39:56 CDT

Original text of this message