Re: Orcale alert log

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:20:30 +0000

In message
<daab5f9f-d0e6-4fe0-9d4c-791ec4d72161_at_d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> writes

>> How often are you gong to exchange an oracle instance alert log with
>> anything other than oracle software (including a support analyst)?
>> Yeah, I think I'll ship my alert log to one our vendors, in case he
>> needs it along with our other EDI stuff :)
>
>I initially agreed with this (as I am biased from having spent far too
>much time programming where XML is beyond not appropriate, even just
>plain silly), but after some small amount of thought, the Oracle
>monitoring software is indeed a cross platform tool and this may be an
>appropriate use.

But its not even valid xml. It is just a bunch of lines formatted with tags. There is no overall document tag.

Of course you can't have an overall document tag in a file which is constantly growing without a lot of rewriting the file.

--
Jim Smith