Re: quick snapshot

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:21:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 1:09 am, kerravon <kerra..._at_w3.to> wrote:
> We have Oracle 9.2.0.8 on Solaris 8.
>
> I was wondering whether there was something similar to "top" for
> Oracle to display what it's doing at the moment (last 5 seconds
> basically).
>
> There is an Oracle "bin" directory with things like oerr in it, so I
> looked up the Oracle manuals master index to see if I could get
> a list of those tools to see if one of them was related to
> performance.  But I didn't find it in the master index.
>
> I'm mainly interested in knowing what the top 10 physical
> I/O SQL statements are, what the top 10 logical I/O SQL
> statements are, and what the top 10 CPU SQL statements
> are.  Read MB/sec and write MB/sec would be good.
>
> Is there something that will come close to any of that?  At the
> moment we're only getting statistics for an hour's processing
> which is not what I'm after.  I want to be able to sample the
> system immediately when there's a problem to see what Oracle
> is up to.
>
> Although I'm not the DBA, if I have an exact thing to ask for, I
> can probably get it.
>
> Thanks.  Paul.

OEM has a number of performance monitoring tools. You have to pay extra, technically.

Of course, it just looks at the views available to your DBA. See http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/sqlviews.htm#1018

There's also a lot of stuff floating about on the interwebnet thingie, of highly varying quality. You probably want to learn a peformance tuning methodology if you want to do it right (as opposed to just looking for _fast=true parameters). Google Cary Milsap, your DBA may have his book. There's some interesting things about wait analysis you can find.

There's also a FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_database_Performance_Tuning_FAQ such as it is.

Always remember: The best performance comes from the unnecessary work you don't do.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Auditors do what exactly, again?  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080327/news_1n27kpmg.html