Re: Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 Advance Server vs Solaris 10 ?

From: <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:03:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 7:10 am, Hardesh <> wrote:
> Dear Users,
> Kindly help me with below query of mine.
> For a web application, which is a suggested combination (considering
> stability/performance/maintainen for web application)
>     ---- Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 Server
>     ---- Oracle 10g on Solaris 10
> -- Currently we are using Oracle 9i on Solaris 8.
> It will be helpful if i can get views based on your experience with
> above oracle 10g and OS.
> There is one more thread on oracle on solaris vs windows but i coud'nt
> get specific solution from that hence posting again (sorry abt that)
> Thanks in Advance

Why would it make a difference to the web application? The app connects to the database via SQL*net, odbc or jdbc so it should be irrelevant on which O/S the database runs. My *preference* would be Solaris, but I'm speaking as a DBA (I find it easier to administer Oracle on Unix than on Windows, and I've done plenty of both). Others may have differing views, but those views are still based upon personal preferences, not any functional differences between connecting a client to an Oracle 10g database. One caveat I will mention is Windows propensity to 'port forward' the SQL*Net connections so if the database server is behind a firewall and you're using Windows you'll need to configure Connection Manager (a task not necessary if running your database on Solaris).

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Mar 27 2008 - 08:03:06 CDT

Original text of this message