Re: TIMED_STATISTICS

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 26, 3:09 pm, "Pete's" <empete2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> Servers --  solaris/aix any OS
> DB --  9.2. & 10.2
>
> What are others doing in setting "timed_statistics"?  TRUE?  FALSE?
>
> Obviously it's dynamic, but, if you turn it off and you have to do
> some reactive tuning, you lose your statistics on your wait events
> before ever turning it back on.  If you were doing some sql tracing,
> you would want it on.
>
> I've seen some say you should only turn it on when you absolutely need
> it.  I've also seen it where you just turn it on and don't worry about
> it.  If I recall back in the 7.3.4 days, it was recommended to be
> turned off.  Maybe someone with Oracle can weigh in on how expensive
> timed_statistics is to a database?
>
> TIA,
> Pete's

We have had timed_statistics set to true since version 7.0. We have ran on 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, and 9.2.

With 10g I would use the Oracle default of typical. We have this under Application Server but no real production databases running on it yet.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 26 2008 - 15:49:55 CDT

Original text of this message