Re: Mixed 32/64 bit environment

From: hpuxrac <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 11:50 am, Chuck <> wrote:
> I'm in the process of upgrading several 32 bit 9i oracle homes to 64 bit
> 10g. My plan is to install 10g into a new home first then one by one
> upgrade the databases and move them to the new home. My question is
> this. Once the 10g home is installed, and before I upgrade any
> databases, can I start using the 64 bit 10g listener for 32 bit oracle
> databases? I know I can change the ORACLE_HOME setting in the 10g
> listener.ora file to point to 9i homes, but my main concern is will
> there be any issue with a 64 bit listener launching 32 bit oracle server
> processes?
> Hope this is clear.
> Thanks.

What do you mean by an ORACLE_HOME setting in a listener.ora file?

There may be a comment line at the top ... but it is just a comment line. Are you talking about extproc?

I think the question that you may be trying to ask if whether a 10g listener can service incoming requests to connect to a 9i database. Yes certainly it can.

Will you likely to run into problems with the 10g listener running 64 bits but the 9i database running 32 bits ... I wouldn't think so but you could submit a service request to oracle and well yes we all know how well those get handled sometimes. Received on Tue Mar 25 2008 - 15:13:02 CDT

Original text of this message