Re: Orcale alert log

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 7:24 am, Chris <christian.doll...._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> currently I am testing to parse the oracle alert log for all ora-<any
> number> errors. I just want to check if my monitoring rules for the
> alert log are working as expected.
> For this need I have an empty oracle database. The challenge is, I am
> not an dba, I am responsible for ITSM, this means I have no knowledge
> about oracle.
>
> Has anyone of you an idea what I could do to create some ora errors
> without destroying the whole application?
>
> thanks
>
> Chris

Perhaps you might consider doing some testing of a file that you create and populate with various ORA- errors. This is much less dangerous than trying to actually cause oracle and application problems in a real running database.

In other words, you could get someone to send you an oracle alert log and use an editor such as notepad or textpad or vi and put in various errors. Where can you find the text of errors? Well if you google on things like ORA- that's one way or look at oracle documentation from http://tahiti.oracle.com or even search this newsgroup you can find lots of examples.

Newer versions of oracle have some pretty good built in automation where these errors can be found from oracle provided tools that includes alerting and email capabilities but yes many sites have their own home grown monitoring solutions. If you do a little more google around you can find some examples of what people have already put together as packaged solutions to do just what you are asking for instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. Received on Tue Mar 25 2008 - 08:11:35 CDT

Original text of this message