Re: How to reduce memory consumption?

From: gnewsgroup <gnewsgroup_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 21, 3:52 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 3:07 pm, gnewsgroup <gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The parameters SGA_TARGET and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET help control the
> > > amount of memory used by Oracle - what values are specified for those
> > > parameters? If you are able to connect to the database using
> > > SQL*Plus, type the following:
> > > SHOW PARAMETER SGA_TARGET
> > > SHOW PARAMETER PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET
>
> > > 400MB is a fairly small memory footprint for an Oracle database. You
> > > might be able to specify a value as small as 200M for the SGA_TARGET
> > > and 50M for the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET.
>
> > > Make certain that you have excluded the Oracle binary and data files
> > > from virus scans, as real-time scans of the data files could kill
> > > system performance. 2GB of memory is reasonably inexpensive upgrade
> > > for most computers, so you might want to consider that upgrade.
>
> > > Charles Hooper
> > > IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> > > K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
>
> > OK, after I changed the memory settings for SGA_TARGET and
> > PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, I ran shutdown and then issued startup and I got
> > this:
>
> > SQL> startup
> > ORACLE instance started.
>
> > Total System Global Area 431038464 bytes
> > Fixed Size 1333676 bytes
> > Variable Size 297797204 bytes
> > Database Buffers 125829120 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 6078464 bytes
> > Database mounted.
> > Database opened.
> > SQL>
>
> > Does it look right given the new settings?
>
> > Thank you
>
> It looks like the memory parameters reset - the SGA is at 411MB.
>
> Oracle 11g offers new features for autosizing memory parameters, if
> you selected "Typical" when using DBCA to create the database, or
> "Custom" and "Automatic Shared Memory Management". See page 33 (2-13)
> of this PDF for a quick summary of the options:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28301.pdf
>
> If you are trying to learn Oracle 11g, that document is definitely the
> best place to start.
>
> While I have worked with Oracle 11g a bit, I don't recall if
> explicitly changing the SGA_TARGET and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET has an
> effect when automatic memory management is in use. See page 76 of the
> above PDF for information about how to adjust the memory allocation
> parameters with automatic memory management enabled.
>
> If the database was started using a pfile (init.ora), the effects of
> the ALTER SYSTEM command will be lost once the database is bounced
> (shut down and brought back up). To eliminate confusion about whether
> or not the effects of an ALTER SYSTEM command will be lost when the
> database is bounced, you can use the SCOPE keyword like this:
> ALTER SYSTEM SET SGA_TARGET=200M SCOPE=BOTH;
>
> If the database was started using a pfile, the above will fail. If it
> was started with a spfile, the spfile will be updated with the new
> value.

> [...]

Also, I do notice that it still consume a lot of memory, at this moment, it eats more than 380M. See the screen shot below which I created 1 min ago.

http://gnewsgroup.googlepages.com/taskmanagerscreenshot

I will try to learn what you suggested. Thank you. Received on Fri Mar 21 2008 - 15:02:14 CDT

Original text of this message