Re: How to reduce memory consumption?

From: gnewsgroup <gnewsgroup_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:07:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 21, 2:39 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 1:37 pm, gnewsgroup <gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am new to Oracle.
>
> > I just installed Oracle11g enterprise edition on my Windows XP Sp2
> > system. My computer is a Pentium 4, 2.20GHz with 1G memory.
>
> > If the Oracle service is running, it consumes around 400M memory, and
> > as a result, my computer becomes barely usable.
>
> > I only need to practice / play with Oracle 11g, so I am wondering if
> > it is possible to greatly reduce its memory consumption and yet still
> > let me play with it happily.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> The parameters SGA_TARGET and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET help control the
> amount of memory used by Oracle - what values are specified for those
> parameters? If you are able to connect to the database using
> SQL*Plus, type the following:
> SHOW PARAMETER SGA_TARGET
> SHOW PARAMETER PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET
>
> 400MB is a fairly small memory footprint for an Oracle database. You
> might be able to specify a value as small as 200M for the SGA_TARGET
> and 50M for the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET.
>
> Make certain that you have excluded the Oracle binary and data files
> from virus scans, as real-time scans of the data files could kill
> system performance. 2GB of memory is reasonably inexpensive upgrade
> for most computers, so you might want to consider that upgrade.
>
> Charles Hooper
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

OK, after I changed the memory settings for SGA_TARGET and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, I ran shutdown and then issued startup and I got this:

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 431038464 bytes

Fixed Size                  1333676 bytes
Variable Size             297797204 bytes
Database Buffers          125829120 bytes
Redo Buffers                6078464 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> Does it look right given the new settings?

Thank you. Received on Fri Mar 21 2008 - 14:07:29 CDT

Original text of this message