Re: How to reduce memory consumption?

From: gnewsgroup <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 21, 2:39 pm, Charles Hooper <> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 1:37 pm, gnewsgroup <> wrote:
> > I am new to Oracle.
> > I just installed Oracle11g enterprise edition on my Windows XP Sp2
> > system. My computer is a Pentium 4, 2.20GHz with 1G memory.
> > If the Oracle service is running, it consumes around 400M memory, and
> > as a result, my computer becomes barely usable.
> > I only need to practice / play with Oracle 11g, so I am wondering if
> > it is possible to greatly reduce its memory consumption and yet still
> > let me play with it happily.
> > Thank you.
> The parameters SGA_TARGET and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET help control the
> amount of memory used by Oracle - what values are specified for those
> parameters? If you are able to connect to the database using
> SQL*Plus, type the following:
> 400MB is a fairly small memory footprint for an Oracle database. You
> might be able to specify a value as small as 200M for the SGA_TARGET
> and 50M for the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET.
> Make certain that you have excluded the Oracle binary and data files
> from virus scans, as real-time scans of the data files could kill
> system performance. 2GB of memory is reasonably inexpensive upgrade
> for most computers, so you might want to consider that upgrade.
> Charles Hooper
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

Thank you.

This is what I got:

SQL> show parameter sga_target

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
sga_target                           big integer      0

SQL> show parameter pga_aggregate_target

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
pga_aggregate_target           big integer      0

I have then run this as you suggested:

SQL> alter system set sga_target=200M;

System altered.

SQL> alter system set pga_aggregate_target=50M;

System altered.

Hope this will ease the load on my computer. Received on Fri Mar 21 2008 - 14:01:15 CDT

Original text of this message