Re: License question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 19, 3:09 am, "astalavista" <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I have license per processor,
> can I have any number of databases on my machine
> for the same price ?
>
> Thanks for your lights ...

Things that are not a good idea are often expensive, though. Perhaps if you gave some background? Off the top of my head, some reasons you might have more than one db:

Management too cheap to have a test machine. (This is generally a bad thing).
Significantly different SLA's. (This might be reasonable for a hosting organization, though modern backup practices make it less necessary).
Versions incompatible with 3rd party software. (Always good flamebait).
Misunderstanding of what a database is. (Other products call a database what we call a schema).
Separate backup and management repositories from production. Expectation of getting another platform for some of the data. This could be for capacity or business reasons such as selling off a division.
Limitations of VPD. (Left as an excercise for the student). Incomplete consolidation of platforms. (i.e., just haven't got to putting them all in one db yet).

A few reasons why you might not want it:

Tuning. (A lot of things assume one db per platform, databases can't tell each other important things).
Resource allocation. (OS, duplication of database overhead, databases can't tell each other important things). Confusion. (Not that things are better with tools that can point at a db anywhere).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2405917#2405917