Under CBO, should WRH$_* and WRI$_* tables and I_WRI$_* index be reorg'ed regularly?

From: <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:43:05 -0700 (PDT)

Should I periodically reorg. these fast growing objects in the SYSAUX tablespace?

Not long ago I enabled Oracle's GATHER_STATS_JOB and switched from RBO to CBO. Since then I have seen a few dozen objects in the SYSAUX tablespace grow quickly. The tables start with WRH$_* and WRI$_* and the index with I_WRI$_*. Is this growth related to CBO and the gathering of statistics?

I found one note in Metalink (# 454678.1) that talks of reorganizing the WRI$_* tables and indexes. The reorg of indexes is more complicated than Oracle says because they become "unusable" after the table is reorged via the "alter table ... move". I have to drop the indexes then recreate them. Objects that referenced the indexes become invalid and must be recompiled. It gets real messy, especially since I am not sure what effect all of this has on a production database that is being read and updated while I work.

Has anyone else seen growth in these SYSAUX objects? How did you respond to it?

Thank you,
Bill Received on Wed Mar 19 2008 - 10:43:05 CDT

Original text of this message