Re: Can control file be 'too new' in RMAN?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:30:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 1:33 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 5:22 pm, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net>
> wrote:
>
> > As part of delete obsolete after a level0, rman deletes a bunch of
> > older control files.
>
> > Can a control file be 'too new' for any PIT recovery in the past?
>
> > We use 'copies 3' instead of 'days x' in our rman config.
>
> > My understanding was that it's not having the latest control file that
> > can pose a problem, not the other way around...
>
> > Thanks,
> > We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> > remove NSPAM to email
>
> An issue of having a too new control file is offline or read-only data
> files.  It's possible for some dorkus to screw up adding a new data
> file while you are off on vacation, leave it offline, then you might
> not notice the issue until you try to recover (say, a standby from a
> newly created RMAN backup) and discover you need long-deleted archived
> logs.  There's usually a way out, but it can contribute to loss of
> protective stomach mucus when it smacks you.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "Specify the schema and name of the table to be truncated. This table
> cannot be part of a cluster. If you omit schema, then Oracle Database
> assumes the table is in your own cluster." - O10 and O11 truncate
> docs.

Joel, simple solution: just do not go on vacation! 8-D

The backup help can sometimes be a problem and it can be very difficult to find the time to check everything when you first get back. If the backup does not follow your conventions and does not document their changes fixing what he or she has done can be very painful.

  • Mark D Powell --