Re: Can control file be 'too new' in RMAN?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:33:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 17, 5:22 pm, NetComrade <> wrote:
> As part of delete obsolete after a level0, rman deletes a bunch of
> older control files.
> Can a control file be 'too new' for any PIT recovery in the past?
> We use 'copies 3' instead of 'days x' in our rman config.
> My understanding was that it's not having the latest control file that
> can pose a problem, not the other way around...
> Thanks,
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

An issue of having a too new control file is offline or read-only data files. It's possible for some dorkus to screw up adding a new data file while you are off on vacation, leave it offline, then you might not notice the issue until you try to recover (say, a standby from a newly created RMAN backup) and discover you need long-deleted archived logs. There's usually a way out, but it can contribute to loss of protective stomach mucus when it smacks you.

-- is bogus.
"Specify the schema and name of the table to be truncated. This table
cannot be part of a cluster. If you omit schema, then Oracle Database
assumes the table is in your own cluster." - O10 and O11 truncate