Re: Can control file be 'too new' in RMAN?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 11:35 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 18, 3:30 pm, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:24:48 -0700 (PDT), vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > >NetComrade a ?crit :

> > >Is the database in archivelog mode?
> > >Which Oracle version?
>
> > Yes, 9i or 10g
>
> You don't have to worry about the consistency of the controlfile in
> archivelog mode. When PIT-recovering, mount your current controlfile
> if available or restore any controlfile backup taken after the
> database backup (even if it was a "long time" later provided it
> contains your backup piece information - assuming you're in nocatalog
> mode).- Hide quoted text -

I will agree with vitalis you can restore and roll forward to you desired point in time recovery using the current or an older control file. You can use a control file older than your backup providing you tell Oracle you are using a backup control file.

Vitalis's "no catalog" comment refers to if you are using rman backups without a recovery catalog. You should always backup the control file as a part of your backup and if you do not want to use the current control file to perform the recovery the first step would be to recover the control file from the backup. Then you would use this control file when you recover.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Mar 18 2008 - 11:19:58 CDT

Original text of this message