Re: why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:26:30 GMT

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:47:37 -0700 (PDT), joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:

>On Mar 15, 11:32šam, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net>
>wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700 (PDT), cs3..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> >Dear Group,
>>
>> >We are using Oracle 10g on Linux.
>>
>> >While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup
>> >database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown
>> >database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes.
>>
>> >It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those
>> >files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log
>> >files.
>>
>> >Any explanations will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> learn RMAN, or even 'hot backup'
>
>Do you use RMAN or 'hot backup' to backup your Oracle Homes?

 :)

>I don't know if linux has the same issue and have no way to try it, so
>I personally am curious if anyone has. Not that I don't trust Jerome
>Vitalis, but I would want to verify.

We don't have such an issue on linux.. you can always just tar oracle home on nfs, tar is happy to backup whatever you ask it to do.. and u can exclude files (or directories), if I remember correctly. .......
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon Mar 17 2008 - 19:26:30 CDT

Original text of this message