Re: testing memory parameters

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 17, 7:30 am, Serge Rielau <srie..._at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:

snip

> You never can have clear rules. You only can have indicators. The
> ability to separate an indicator from a rule is part of teh job.
> I don't think we are on opposing ends here. I just find the word
> "useless" swinging the pendulum way too far to the other end.

Perhaps useless is a little too strong but oversold and overhyped are words that do apply. In the oracle community there were a lot of books sold and consulting engagements booked in the 90's with concepts like buffer hit ratio and index rebuild solutions.

But if it is not useless then how do you use them? As long term indicators ... maybe ... if you don't have useless/miscoded applications that are propping the values higher than they should be ... and if you have good development practices looking at explain plans, indexing alternatives, etc.

So the devil is in the details if you say they are "useful" ...

So the pendulum has swung way over to the other side, as you note, perhaps too far? Received on Mon Mar 17 2008 - 09:45:04 CDT

Original text of this message