Re: why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:31:19 -0700 (PDT)

On 15 mar, 01:22, "Mr. Chow Wing Siu" <wsc..._at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote:
> vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > On Linux/Unix, you don't need to stop your instances to back up their
> > Oracle Homes.
> > No idea regarding Oracle application server.

> Would you tell me why it is not necessary to stop the instance in UNIX?
>
> Thanks.

Because when files are open, there are no filesystem locks that would prevent these files from being read and backed up.

And in the Oracle Homes, you don't have to be concerned about consistency between files (questions like: what is the first file of O_H is backed up at 10:00 and the last one at 10:03?) or about fuzzy files (files that might be written during their backup.)

Now if you put your datafiles in O_H, that's another story. ;-) Received on Sat Mar 15 2008 - 03:31:19 CDT

Original text of this message