Re: LOBS

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:05:58 +0100

amerar_at_iwc.net schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading some examples on DBMS_LOB.
>
> We have a table with a CLOB column which contains a lot of text, with
> new lines and all.
>
> When I run a command like: Select dbms_lob.substr(email_text,1,10)
> from email_test;
>
> It gives me like, only 1 character, which is not even the first
> character of the string??
>
> I'm still looking for examples, maybe someone can help?
>
> Thanks!

If you would look in documentation more carefully, you may notice, that semantics of dbms_lob.substr differs from the semantics of substr function. The second parameter is amount and the third - offset (as opposite to substr, there the second is offset and third is length). So you get what you ask for - one character from the 10th position.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Thu Mar 13 2008 - 14:05:58 CDT

Original text of this message