Re: Oracle on Windows vs Solaris or Linux ?

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:48:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 11, 6:18 pm, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger..._at_torver.net> wrote:
> > How about if you actually read the post - specifically the part where
> > I referred to OEMs actually shipping Windows Server 2008 pre-
> > installed?
>
> How about you do some research before joining the party.
>
> > Yes, I did mean in a US-centric, major OEMs kinda way such as Dell
> > and HP.
> > In checking on both of their retail sites, neither had w2k8 listed as
> > an option when specifying a server OS.
>
> You just looking online? If you'd have any clue you would know that to get
> the best deal you go through a partner and not direct.
>
> Anyway I've listed the links for the support and availability of windows
> 2008.
>

> > Guess that w2k8 server is not current quite yet.
>
> Oh you must mean these links...
>
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/458915-0-0-0-121.html?jump...
>
> http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/microsoft/OS/Wind...
> From the page "HP builds the best run server infrastructure for Windows
> Server 2008. HP delivers an integrated set of value-add software drivers and
> management software optimized for your server infrastructure. "
>
> All you need to do is ask your HP supplier - it's on HP's site clear as day.
>
> > Are you running the current version of SQL Server 2008 on that as
> > well?'
>
> Nice distraction technique but it ain't going to work.
>
> --
> Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVPhttp://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson
> [Ramblings from the field from a SQL consultant]http://sqlserverfaq.com
> [UK SQL User Community]

Tony,

Since you're in a helpful mood, I can't seem to locate Windows Server 2008 (either x86 or x86-64) support up on the Oracle Metalink site under "Certify" for Oracle Database Server 10g R2 - Enterprise Edition.

Have you seen a note or doc regarding this?

thanks,

-bdbafh Received on Wed Mar 12 2008 - 08:48:19 CDT

Original text of this message