Re: retrieve old value while executing an update statement

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:40:11 -0500

codadilupo wrote:
> Is there a way to retrieve the old value of a column inside an UPDATE
> statement without executing a SELECT first?
> Something like:
> update x set name='my new name' returning old name into old_name ;
> (Oracle
> Thank you. Kind regards, C.

with before insert trigger.... you can "copy" the data to another table return it in dbms output statements -etc. A quick google search for oracle before insert trigger should give you sufficient examples of how this can be done. Received on Tue Mar 11 2008 - 08:40:11 CDT

Original text of this message