Re: Oracle on Solaris or Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2008 08:03:18 GMT

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:07:16 +0000, Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After reading the discussion of Oracle on Windows or UNIX, I would like
> to discuss Oracle on Solaris or Linux.
>
> Any point or idea on either of them?
>
> Thank you very much.

What aspects of the choice are you interested in? Financial? Technical? If you consider just the quality of the OS, Solaris wins, hands down. Maybe you should form a preconception, find some people on this group to support your point of view and then use that as an argument for your damagement. That is what is known as an "informed choice". PHB would be proud.
And now, something completely different: the real selection process. Somebody should outline user needs, available funds, do detailed calculations, ask for references, do benchmarks and check the availability of qualified people in your area. Purchase of a platform must be done as a project.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com