Re: Oracle licensing fees

From: <usenetpersongerryt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 10, 10:29 am, "patrick" <patrickppu..._at_aol.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to estimate a cost in terms of Oracle licensing fees if I were to
> move from my current system a Sun E450 with 4 CPU's at 400 to a Sun V880
> with 8 CPUs at 1.05 Ghz. I went to Oracle site and couldn't find anything
> specific on cost estimates.

You'll have to work it out with Oracle. If you are migrating from single core
CPUS, take 4 CPUs out of V880 equation and your licensing fees should not
change. If they are dual core CPUs then the rule WAS .75 or 4*.75 = 5 1/3 : >

You could also "split" the box up logically with zonecfg. man zoneadm I believe this is Solaris 10 only though. See dedicated-cpu (create a zone for Oracles exclusive use and give it 4 CPUs). This should keep you "legal" but again talk to Oracle. These rules change

I should note that there has been some differing opinions in the past here
whether zones are supported in Solaris. There is at least one white paper at Sun
written by Sun staff that work directly with Oracle that suggest is is no problem
with using this approach and that it IS supported. Whereas some characters here
point to some URL(s) metalink whatever that say it is NOT supported. Either could be true at the time of writing!

The problem is getting a straight answer from the Oracle people in the end.
Some quote person may be lazy, or doesnt really KNOW, so they'll likely
highball the quote or say zones arent supported etc etc.

Good luck getting an answer : > Received on Mon Mar 10 2008 - 13:25:09 CDT

Original text of this message