Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: <jhofmeyr_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

Once again we have a thread in this group where practical "working hero's" are attacking the "classroom fossils" who comprise the academic branch of our diverse industry...

It always astounds me that the two "factions" fail to recognise that they are co-dependent. The academic side teaches the theory (which may not be practical) which shapes the way students approach real problems, the practical side provide the implementation and innovation that drives the industry forward.

The fact that these "innovations" are predominantly based on theories and thought processes they learned in the classroom (or read in books/ blogs/<insert academic reference here>) seems to have been forgotten or is glossed over ... but innovation becomes classroom material, and the next generation's thoughts are shaped and ready to face new real problems.

This is the nature of evolution and progress - grow up and live with it! Received on Mon Mar 10 2008 - 12:17:26 CDT

Original text of this message