Re: Grid control agent

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2008 09:35:49 GMT

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:51:57 -0800, newbie wrote:

> I have a oracle 10 agent installed on a server and I have changed the
> emd.properties
> file on this and have stopped and started the agent

Grid control is a poorly documented bloatware with disgusting XML config files. You need a special agent to run it, the one that comes with the database cannot be used and must be turned off. It does have some nice monitoring options but it requires huge resources as it is J2EE, Perl, Apache and PHP, all rolled into one. I usually prefer doing a root canal over installing and configuring grid control. I find Nagios equally good for monitoring and much easier to configure.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com