Re: to add table with primary key

From: codadilupo <yossarian99_at_operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:35:11 +0100

Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>> For example, some of my clients don't want sequence gaps or want
>>> sequences to start again with 1 at the beginning of each year.
>> Obviously this can NOT be used as a PK.

> Of course it can when the year is added - that is the
> other part of the request: change the control record from
> 2007 to 2008.

Since creating my own 'numbering system' reminds me of my Oracle 5 days I tried to satisfy client's request by creating a bunch of sequences named "table_name_yyyy_seq" (where "yyyy"=2000,2001,2002 etc.) and using NDS in the trigger in order to use the sequence corrisponding to the year (which is another PK column, of course).

I don't know which approach is worse...

C. Received on Mon Mar 10 2008 - 03:35:11 CDT

Original text of this message