Re: History behind 30 character name limit?

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 13:17:20 +0000 (UTC)

> You do not need object names over 30 characters in length and trying
> to maintain code where long object names force scrolling right and
> left to be able to read a single line of code is extremely difficult
> for most developers.

This is a statement I happen not to agree with. It's been more than once that I'd have been happy to use identifiers for tables that had been longer than 30 characters. Because you don't want or need them, doesn't mean the same thing for me. And lastly, if I actually could create objects with longer names doesn't stop you from not doing so, but the opposite isn't unfortunately true.

Rene

--
  Rene Nyffenegger
  http://www.adp-gmbh.ch