Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:24:59 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:

> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> Well right now I can only name one. <g>
>>>

>>> Of course you are correct. There are top notch programmers that
>>> don't know who Chris Date is. There are top notch programmers
>>> that don't know who Dennis Ritchie and Ray Boyce are either no
>>> doubt.
>>>

>>> Though I suspect you could put the names of those "top notch"
>>> programmers on a 3x5 card.
>>
>> Quite incorrect.  Right off the top of my head I can probably name a
>> dozen I know personally who haven't heard of him.  He's well known in
>> some circles, but definitely not all.
>
> The operative phrase here is "top notch." If they ever took even a basic
> class on normalization they could not have missed the name Boyce. If
> they learned more in C than "Hello World" they'd know who Dennis is.

Not necessarily. A lot of great DBA's know normalization but don't know   Boyce. And these are DBA's who manage databases in the hundreds of terabyte range, running sometimes tens of thousands of operations a second. They learned normalization techniques and maybe even heard of Boyce and Codd. But they have no idea who they were.

And while they were famous 20 years ago, a lot of people who have learned C in the last 10 years or more have never heard of either Kernighan or Ritchie.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address