Re: ORA-12641: Authentication service failed to initalize

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 20:07:25 +0100

eric wrote:
> i've already gone through the steps to obtain my ticket with ktpass,
> and setup krb5.conf, krb.conf, and tnsnames.ora.
> when i obtain my ticket (it appears to work -- no errors produced).
> however, when i go to connect: sqlplus /@kb_oracle i get the following
> error: ERROR: ORA-12641: Authentication service failed to initalize,
> and get prompted to enter my password? anyone have any ideas??
> thanks,
> eric

Check if you have the correct encryption mechanism; MS Windows 2000 uses CRC by default, not MD5. MS Windows 2003 seems to use MD5 by default, but better make sure. Oracle wants MD5. More options on, the "Kerberos errors" entry.

If the encryption type is the cause, it should become visible when tracing.

Just curious - why kerberos on Windows when OS authetication will work? Even AD for LDAP is supported on MS.

Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up