Re: ORA-12641: Authentication service failed to initalize

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 20:07:25 +0100

eric wrote:
> i've already gone through the steps to obtain my ticket with ktpass,
> and setup krb5.conf, krb.conf, and tnsnames.ora.
>
> when i obtain my ticket (it appears to work -- no errors produced).
> however, when i go to connect: sqlplus /@kb_oracle i get the following
> error: ERROR: ORA-12641: Authentication service failed to initalize,
> and get prompted to enter my password? anyone have any ideas??
>
> thanks,
>
> eric

Check if you have the correct encryption mechanism; MS Windows 2000 uses CRC by default, not MD5. MS Windows 2003 seems to use MD5 by default, but better make sure. Oracle wants MD5. More options on http://vanbortel.blogspot.com, the "Kerberos errors" entry.

If the encryption type is the cause, it should become visible when tracing.

Just curious - why kerberos on Windows when OS authetication will work? Even AD for LDAP is supported on MS.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up