Re: Convert table into partitioned table (Fast)

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:57:54 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 6, 7:57 am, mc..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > > How would you achieve that..?
>
> > INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ....;
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
>
> My question was: is there a faster way to convert to a partitioned
> table than "insert into .... select * from ....". I don't think you
> read my post.

Hi,

If you go "INSERT INTO..." check your wait events on the load. If you are doing it NOLOGGING, then you may have to set event 10359. We ran into this a few months ago. The writes to the controlfile to indicate it was an unrecoverable operation were taking about 30-40% of our total elapsed time. Once we set it, we gained all that time back.

According to metalink note 1058851.6, there is no real impact to setting it.

HTH, Steve Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 14:57:54 CST

Original text of this message