Re: History behind 30 character name limit?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:55:31 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 6, 9:46 am, Thomas Kellerer <YQDHXVLMU..._at_spammotel.com> wrote:
> gazzag, 06.03.2008 14:59:
>
> > However, many years ago I was on a Windows NT course (don't ask) and
> > someone in the group asked the trainer if Microsoft had overcome the
> > "limit" of allowing a maximum of 256 characters in a filename.
>
> I think it's actually 256 character for a _path_name, which using deeply nested directories can easily be reached.
>
> Thomas

But only MS though making excessive nesting of user files standard was a good idea.

Back to the original question: I have told our developers to limit all table names to 23 or less characters. That way we base index and trigger names off the table as in table_name_idx1 and table_name_air for after insert trigger.

You do not need object names over 30 characters in length and trying to maintain code where long object names force scrolling right and left to be able to read a single line of code is extremely difficult for most developers.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 12:55:31 CST

Original text of this message