Re: Convert table into partitioned table (Fast)

From: <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:29:13 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 5, 5:55 pm, "news.verizon.net" <kenned..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> <mc..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > 10g Release 2
>
> > Whats the fastest way to convert a very large table into a partitioned
> > table.  The operation doesn't have to be done online but it needs to
> > completed as quick as possible.....
>
> > Current plan is to:
>
> > 1.  Rename the existing unpartitioned table
> > 2.  Create new partitioned table
> > 3.  Insert into partitioned table select * from unpartitoned table
> > 4.  Create indexes, constraints, etc
>
> > Is there a faster way to achieve this.
>
> > I've tried using direct loading using the /*+ APPEND */ hint but this
> > doesnt increase the throughput significantly.  Delaying the index
> > creation until after the load however does massively improve load
> > times.
>
> > Any other ideas..?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Have you looked at creating a partitioned table and then doing an exchange?
> It should take very little time.
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm aware of the feature but you have to exchange the unpartitioned table with 'one' of the partitions in the partitioned table. But this doesnt actually split up the data based on my partitioning strategy, i.e. date range

How would you achieve that..? Received on Wed Mar 05 2008 - 19:29:13 CST

Original text of this message