Re: Ora 10.2.0.1, Error ORA-12514

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:14:52 -0600

Ana C. Dent wrote:
> Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote in
>

>> In some environments, the only host I want accessing a particular
>> listener is localhost (don't want other servers using this box as a
>> gateway to another external source for example).  The listeners from
>> 9.2.0.6, 9.2.0.8, 10.2.0.2, 10.2.0.3 on UNIX seem to change this
>> functionality depending on the day (or so it seems).   If the only
>> applications accessing this are on the localhost - then this is valid.
>> If you need to access it from outside - it may or may not work.
>>

> If/when you do not want access from any other system, then do:
> lsnrctl stop
>
> No listener is required to access the DB from the DB server system!

Depends on what you are accessing... I have a configuration where in a database a dblink uses a DB2Connect client via Heterogeneous Services that connects to a DB2 mainframe. We use a separate listener that only runs on localhost - which as I stated, prevents this box from becoming a gateway. Obviously stopping this listener prevents access to the DB2 database as well and would not be acceptable. It is scary when you find a DEV system using a PROD server as a gateway to a PROD Mainframe DB2 database... - and we found the another even more scary config -- a prod server using a DEV system as a gateway to a PROD DB2 database. These have all been fixed. :) Received on Mon Mar 03 2008 - 21:14:52 CST

Original text of this message