Re: primary 64-bit with a logical 32-bit standby?

From: Pete <pmussomeli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:39:14 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 3, 6:39 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 1:02 pm, Pete <pmussom..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What is the difference in cost? You probably can't find a 32bit
> > > server motherboard anymore. The operating system is free: Linux.
> > > And Oracle certainly doesn't charge by the bit.
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> > > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > > University of Washington
> > > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > cost, meaning what it would cost to upgrade my current environment. i
> > have 1 box which is 64-bit ready, and 2 physical standby's that are
> > not 64-bit ready, meaning i'd have to replace those standby machines.
> > that's going to cost me a ton.
>
> > i want to know if it's possible to convert my physical standby's to
> > logical standby's and not have to upgrade the OS/Oracle.
>
> > i thought it was a simple question...
>
> See metalink Note:413484.1 and Note:62290.1
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "Thank you for choosing Oracle 8" - 10.2.0.3 patch install screen.

Excellent thanks Joel.

for anyone else reading this, basically it's not possible. you can do it with physical standby's but i must have 10g, and even then, data guard must be managed via sql+. logical standby's must have the same exact binaries. Received on Mon Mar 03 2008 - 18:39:14 CST

Original text of this message