Re: Migration to Oracle

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:42:47 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 3, 1:33 am, wrote:
> Hi Morgan
> > The best solution to your problem is to dump the SQL Server data as
> > delimited ASCII, preferably not comma delimited, and then use SQL*Loader
> > to get it into Oracle. It isn't a dumbed down GUI. Which is why it does
> > such a phenomenally good job.
> i think i don't understand what you say !!!
> your solution is for moving data to oracle. is this correct?
> so what about Tables,Views,Procedures,Functions,Trigger and ... .

You seem to be missing that you must rewrite everything except for the table data (the metadata is close, but still needs some work).

> i should move first these objects then moving data.
> can i move these object to an Empty schema in my destination oracle
> database by Sql*Loader??
> > Probably not because it is the wrong tool for the job.
> SqlDeveloper as i think is a tool for Migration database? is this
> correct???

For your swiss sql problem, you probably want to talk to their support. I don't know anything about their product, but NLS and default character set definitions vary by Oracle version, I would guess they are assuming a different client version than your server. Usually the solution is a simple setting of environment or registry variables, but reading through all the NLS docs and advice can be daunting. Log into your client in sqlplus and show parameter nls, and do the same in your server. And let us know the exact Oracle version you are using (ie,

There is a lot of work to be done in this type of conversion, you should probably get a consultant that has done it before.

-- is bogus.
Zeno's paradox applies to learning Oracle.