Re: Migration to Oracle

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 21:55:30 -0600

DA Morgan wrote:
> meysam.khayatan_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> Hi
>> i want to migrate my sqlServer 200 DB to Oracle 9i or oracle 10g
>> i download Oracle Sql Developer but i can't use it anyway
>> can anyone tell me solution to do this job??
>> thanks alot
>> Best Regards

> Not to be too harsh but the biggest single problem I see in those
> moving from the MS world to the Oracle world is an inability to
> read.
>
> To have a chance of being successful with Oracle you must read the
> docs. Start with the concept docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com,
> continue with any book written by Tom Kyte, preferably all of
> them, and then work through demos of which there are many on the
> web such as those in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.
>
> And please don't consider going to 9i ... it is in desupport mode.
> If you are moving to Oracle you should be focusing on 11gR1. And
> if you are moving to Oracle you should be focusing on SQL*Plus,
> which is where learning takes place, rather than a dumbed-down GUI.

yes - but as you stated, using SQL*Plus requires the ability read...

Moving the data from SQLServer to Oracle takes a little more than a few hours or so (depending on size), the big trick is getting things like Referential integrity, auto-sequence columns etc... fixed after the data is moved. SQLServer developers notoriously use the auto-sequence fields as the only PK (not sure I always agree with that approach - but it is also quite prevalent in the MYSQL community...). You will need to create sequences and triggers for those sequences to re-enable that functionality. Another is converting any stored/user written procedures to Oracle syntax. Most things work, but as I recall, there were a few funky things I had to re/reverse-engineer.

The really big thing will be getting your application converted -especially of you used something like VB. Most things work, but in one app I did, it took ~30 days (~6K lines of VB code) to get it converted to work with Oracle - it will all depend on "how" data was accessed and processed. Received on Sun Mar 02 2008 - 21:55:30 CST

Original text of this message