Re: Installing Oracle

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:31:33 +0100

On 02.03.2008 15:41, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:23:18 +0100, Robert Klemme
> <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

>> people with lacking skills and lacking care.

> In my book this is identical to developers.

I feel slightly abused. :-) You probably have your history with developers but I have also seen clueless DBA's. One of the reasons for this is that companies are not willing to pay the price of a decent database administrator and so people end administering that do neither have the knowledge nor the time to gain it.

If you use "developer" as an abstraction of a person who is "only" doing coding and not interested in the nature of the systems they are using then yes, those should not be allowed database access - but they should also not be allowed to write a line of code that eventually goes into production.

<rant>Nowadays OR mappers make it so easy to store data from your favorite OO programming language in a persistence store hiding the often quoted impedance mismatch - but unfortunately also hiding the characteristics of performance, locking and what not. Sometimes it seems that replacing this with a explicit mapping using SQL would be beneficial because it gives more control, lets you use all the features of the database and, probably most important, makes it obvious that there is access to some external storage that should be used with care.</rant>

> I'm inclined to believe everyone at that company is completely
> clueless with respect to Oracle, and assume it is Sqlserver or Mysql,
> including the OP

Maybe.

Cheers

        robert Received on Sun Mar 02 2008 - 09:31:33 CST

Original text of this message