Re: Installing Oracle

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:39:25 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 1, 5:33 pm, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
> On Mar 1, 5:22 pm, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
>

> > <mrdjmag..._at_aol.com> wrote in message

> > > You know, this is why developers should never be given access to the
> > > server.
>
> > > We are running ORacle 10g.  We were going to drop a database and
> > > recreate it on our development box.
>
> > > Rather, a developer deleted all of the datafiles AND the software. I'm
> > > here at home with an SSH connection to work.  Can I download the
> > > software from Oracle's site, upload it to the server and install it
> > > using a response file?
>
> > > I do not have access to a GUI mode, so a response file is the only way
> > > to go.......
>
> > > If not, is there any other way???
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > Don't you have a tape backup of the Oracle software folders ?- Hide quoted text -

> Well, we have otehr boxes running Oracle 10g r2.  But no backup of
> this one, as it was a development server.  And copying the directories
> from one of the other servers is not the answer.....- Hide quoted text -

Then the developers had every right to have access to the database and server; giving them access to the 'oracle' account, though, is ridiculously idiotic. Their access should have been through individual user accounts absent the 'dba' group.

You're correct in presuming that copying existing Oracle installations to this machine isn't the answer. The answer is you shouldn't be so lax in who has access to priviledged O/S accounts.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Mar 01 2008 - 17:39:25 CST

Original text of this message