Re: Varchar2

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 06:17:08 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 1, 2:27 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> ame..._at_iwc.net wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm looking around for opinions.
>
> > We're running Oracle 10g, we have the need now for a VARCHAR2 column
> > with 6000 characters.  I know the standard thing is to create a LOB
> > column.
>
> > We have not LOB column in our database.  I have 2 options here:
>
> > The first is to create 2 columns, and, use a function on SELECT and a
> > trigger in INSERT to split or concatenate the string.
>
> > The second is to use a LOB column, and if I do that, it may have to be
> > compatible with PHP, as PHP may be selecting the data......maybe.
>
> > So, I'm looking for opinions on people who have done this, or used LOB
> > columns, since we never have....
>
> > Thanks!
>
> Use a CLOB.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

I will make it 3 out of 3, use a CLOB column. There is an entire Application Developers Guide devoted to LOB objects and since the feature's introduction with version 8.0 Oracle has made several improvements to make using LOB objects easier. You are on 10g so you should make use of the provided 10g features to solve your current problem(s).

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Mar 01 2008 - 08:17:08 CST

Original text of this message