The best solution to find differences between multiple rowset

From: Mauro Pagano <mauro.pagano_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:26:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
in the last days I'm thinking about the best way to find rows present in a set not present in an other set.
Suppose that both sets have a pk, is always the outer join filtering only null values on one side the most *efficient* solution? The other solutions I propose are to use "not in / not exists" (I know that they're not the same) or minus.
In my experience I had usally achieved better performance using outer join, expecially on big volumes.
If you want I can provide example, execution plan, etc but my question is not about specific case... it's just to share experiences, opinions, solutions, etc
Thanks a lot for your attention
Regards
Mauro Received on Fri Feb 29 2008 - 14:26:13 CST

Original text of this message