Re: parent key not found error

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:09:57 -0800

Bhavin wrote:
> Hello Group,
> I m Bhavin Goradiya learning oracle.
> when i importing data from backup it gives error "parent key not
> found". Please help me. i'm very confused regarding this error.

You are inserting into a table where column values are constrained by a foreign key (referential) constraint.

You must have the value in the parent table before putting it into the child so it can look it up.

Look at the REFERENTIAL CONSTRAINT demos in Morgan's Library at to see how this works.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group