Re: How secure is ASM? any encryption possible?

From: <gpdamr_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:55:04 -0800 (PST)

Reason for using AFS is to ensure Oracle is configured as similarly as possible to implemented live systems.
Let support/technical staff get familiar with the asm.

Also on windows using NTFS database fragmentation has been a problem for us. As well as users filling the disks holding the oracle data files. I understood AFS to reduce fragmentation. Correct me if wrong. Having data on hidden partition stops users filling it and makes it more exclusive.

I understand ASM has nothing to do with encryption. Was originally trying to establish if any was possible like EFS on NTFS.Having discovered it is not possible I am just trying to find out how assessable data on an AFS partition would be should the laptop or disk be stolen.

SO far looking like I might go hpuxrac's solution which we were discussing in the office yesterday.

FYI The laptops were setup long before a new company policy decided data should be encrypted. Received on Thu Feb 28 2008 - 03:55:04 CST

Original text of this message