Re: Oracle as Front End for Ms Access

From: Arch <send.no_at_spam.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:04:22 -0500

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:00:27 -0800 (PST), Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 5:01 am, SePp <C_o_z_..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm looking for the pro's and con's for an MS Access Application which
>> has an Oracle backend (Oracle Express).
>> Especially how it is about the auto commit ( I believe it is off ),
>> the multi user security and the speed of the application.
>>
>> I know Oracle is very good with multi users but how is it when I
>> use MS Access as Frontend.
>> Is it still good, with the ODBC Connection and the linked tables?
>>
>> What is about the ODBC connection. This slows the queries extremely
>> down, doesn't it?
>>
>> Very much thanks in advance!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> SePp
>
>I agree with Mark. Access gets a black eye for this kind of stuff,
>when it usually should be the developers getting the black eye. If
>you go this route, I would suggest either pass through queries (skips
>the Jet engine) or using Oracle stored procedures that return the
>resultset to Access.
>
>If you use Access and just link the tables, you are asking for
>trouble.
>
>HTH,
>
>Steve

I would like to echo what Steve and Mark have said. I have developed and maintain a number of applications that use Access for front end to Oracle. Access is an excellent application development tool. I do precisely what Steve suggests - no linked tables, lots of pass through queries, lots of views and stored procedures. I use Oracle for authentication and control of access to objects. (not a strength of Access)

In my opinion - a robust and stable combination. Performance is acceptable even across WANs.

Arch Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 14:04:22 CST

Original text of this message