Re: Oracle as Front End for Ms Access

From: Steve Howard <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:00:27 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 5:01 am, SePp <> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm looking for the pro's and con's for an MS Access Application which
> has an Oracle backend (Oracle Express).
> Especially how it is about the auto commit ( I believe it is off ),
> the multi user security and the speed of the application.
> I know Oracle is very good with multi users but how is it when I
> use MS Access as Frontend.
> Is it still good, with the ODBC Connection and the linked tables?
> What is about the ODBC connection. This slows the queries extremely
> down, doesn't it?
> Very much thanks in advance!
> Kind regards,
> SePp

I agree with Mark. Access gets a black eye for this kind of stuff, when it usually should be the developers getting the black eye. If you go this route, I would suggest either pass through queries (skips the Jet engine) or using Oracle stored procedures that return the resultset to Access.

If you use Access and just link the tables, you are asking for trouble.

HTH, Steve Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 11:00:27 CST

Original text of this message