How secure is ASM? any encryption possible?

From: <gpdamr_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:19:45 -0800 (PST)

My company just spent a bomb on PGP entire disk encryption. Ok we do banking software and have several large banks as customers. We have systems on laptops for debugging/testing. Oracle is setup to use ASM on its own partition on the laptops.

PGP can not encrypt it.!!!
What I want to know is how secure the database is if the laptop is stolen/ disk removed.

The c: drive which can be encrypted has the oracle applications. ini and .ora files.

I have bios startup/disk passwords. PGP on windows drives. However I am being asked to put oracle data files on a PGP encrypted windows system instead of an ASM partition due to security.

Tried google and not a lot shows up for hacking or reading oracle asm partitions.

So I am asking how nest to secure ASM partitions. or how secure is ASM? Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 10:19:45 CST

Original text of this message